Due to the increasing number of contacts and the enhanced density of interconnect structures, maximum demands are placed on the production techniques, the materials used, as well as on the cleaning of microsystems. Without analysis using high-resolution imaging methods, quality control is inconceivable. Sophisticated preparations are often necessary for scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and transmission electron microscopy (TEM), especially for failure analysis.
The SGS INSTITUT FRESENIUS has many years of experience in the field of sample preparation as well as SEM and TEM analysis. These methods are also applied specifically in combination with other analytical techniques.
- Documentation and evaluation of contacting by wire bonding: failures of the wire and the connection to the printed circuit board (PCB)
- Examination of various bond wire systems, e.g. Au bond wire, Al bond wire
- Target preparation of complex components for the evaluation of bonding, soldering, and adhesive compounds
- Imaging of local interface areas on contact surfaces: formation of intermetallic phases, press connections in ultrasonic bonding
- Measurement and evaluation of soldering points according to IPC-A-610
- Inspection and documentation using light microscopy
- Cross-sectional preparation for SEM and TEM analyses: fracture, cut, chemical preparation, and FIB cut
- Parallel surface preparation for TEM
- Reverse preparation of layers: wet and dry etching, horizontal grinding
- High-resolution imaging by SEM or TEM: detailed examination of contacts and interconnects, documentation of dimensions and morphology, elemental distribution by EDX
SGS INSTITUT FRESENIUS GmbH
Königsbrücker Landstr. 161
t +49 351 8841-200